Prospective Graduate Students
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted at any time. However, to receive full consideration for assistantships and fellowships, applications should be complete by January 1, for admission for the following fall semester.
Applicants are encouraged to contact prospective faculty advisors before applying, and maintain contact after their application file is complete. Our objective is to match the needs of the individual applicants with a faculty member with similar interests.
View the admissions procedures and policies
Applicants must submit the following:
• Completed the online MSU Domestic or International Graduate Application. This form can be accessed through the Office of Admissions.
• Completed Department of Horticulture Supplemental Application. Please use the Graduate Tracking System to create an account using your email address. Click on "My Applications" to enter your supplemental application, upload information and check the status.
• Three letters of recommendation, completed by instructors or supervisors familiar with the applicant's work. Letters of recommendation must be submitted on official stationary with an original signature.
• A written Academic Statement. Include on the application or attach a separate sheet with a concise academic statement of your plans for graduate study, your career goals, and how MSU's graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
• A written Personal Statement. Include on the application or attach a separate personal statement about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree.
• One official copy of transcripts from all previous universities attended. Competitive applicants are in the top 10% of their BS class and have at least a 3.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0.
• An official copy of your Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results. (Institution code 1465, Department code 0109.)
• An official copy of your TOEFL scores is required from all international applicants. We require a TOEFL score of at least 92 (with no subscore below 22)
• A Statement of Financial Proof. This statement must originate from your source of support and must be a certified statement with an original signature. We cannot accept photocopies unless notarized, signed and sealed.
All materials should be sent directly to the following address:
Horticulture Graduate Programs Office
A159 Plant and Soil Sciences
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Ml 48824 USA
Phone: (517) 355-5191 extension 1324
Fax: (517) 353-0890
Visits and Interviews
Highly qualified applicants who reside in the United States may be invited to visit Michigan State University and meet with members of the Horticulture faculty and graduate students. In such case, the Horticulture Department may cover travel expenses.
Have further questions? Please give us a call or email!